Wednesday 15 February 2012

Aspies - work, life, love....

However, there are many Aspies who find work impossible because of the various demands made on them by the nature of work itself  - some are dyslexic, some dyspraxic, some have dyscalculia, prosopagnosia, social phobias just to name a few. 

I am one of the lucky ones who work full time - my interest in offices and my love of routine and order have made it possible for me to thrive in my career - albeit a fairly lowly one (administration/office manager).  However,  I always wondered how I could never really progress and now of course, I realise that my AS has both helped and hindered.  It helps because I make a good employee.  It hinders because I never see myself doing anything different and have flitted about learning a little about everything so that I am a jack of all trades....

There is a good chance my employers think I am bonkers as well!

That aside, it's the half term holiday for the school.  My son shot off to his Dad's house rather quickly so it has been me and Boo (her nickname) for the week.  And what a lovely week it has been.  Normally holidays are difficult given that I love my work and my routines.  

Not so this week.  We have cleaned up a lot (the house is a state) but we have been for longs walks in the unseasonably warmish weather.  We have had fruit picnics in the park and have watched two rather good films in the evenings - one being Five Children and It based on the E Nesbitt book and the other being the Three Muskateers - a rotten Disney but chewing gum for the brain! 

And it makes it all worth it when a little face is turned to mine and I am told they have had a lovely day.   Sighs.

A horrible thought occured to me in the park - what do I do when they up and fly the nest?  My heart ached from the realisation that I only have a few more years of these simple pleasures to go.  Soon my Boo will be wrapped up in her appearance, exams, boys/girls (depends) and nonsense surrounding growing up.    I will be required but only for money and the odd taxi run and possibly to comfort a broken heart.  I will be required to counsel, admonish, entreaty but I will not have the glorious gift of a little hand in mine....

It is hard for people with young children not to wish them away sometimes but if I could persuade any parent to love every second, I would.  All gone too soon.    Fortunately for me, one of my brothers already let me know just how desperately sad it is to see your children drift from you and not to be needed in the same way ever again.   He is lucky he has two children to be so proud of - my nephew and neice are wonderful people.  But I can remember them when they were little and I didn't love it enough.  I have learned my lesson and thankfully I am not too late. 

Being a working parent is hard but in some ways, I think I give more when I can because of the lack of time.   And if nothing else, by diverging during the day, we collide in happiness and chaos in the evenings...I love a good hullabaloo...




No comments:

Post a Comment